2022: Google also added hotel attributes to define if hotels offered support to those displaced from Ukraine.
2020: It was critical that precautions being taken were discoverable in search results.
2020: Does adding schema help improve your search rankings? Google said no but…
2019: With this update, Bid Strategy Type was no longer a required column.
2019: McDonald’s campaign showed drivers in-car ads that mirrored billboards.
2016: After testing various combinations, Google launched new filter buttons in the image search results.
2016: The ad extension was in beta in the U.S.
2016: The winning photo would be featured on Bing’s home page during National Park Week and used as Bing’s Facebook and Twitter cover photo in April.
2016: The latest images showing what people eat at the search engine companies, how they play, who they meet, where they speak, what toys they have and more.
2015: Google had become increasingly aggressive in trying to lure back users.
2014: Amid criticism from politicians and Google’s critics, EU antitrust chief Joaquín Almunia essentially said that Google’s antitrust settlement proposal was a done deal.
2014: Advertisers were able to start including multiple versions of keywords through Bing Ads Editor and the Bing Ads Upload API.
2014: The chief virtue of KitLocate was that it provided location to apps without using much power – unlike GPS or triangulation, which could drain mobile batteries.
2014: Agencies and business owners could use the tool to research where their listings appeared online, manage claiming and verification and listings submission.
2014: There was a fun search marketing-related Dilbert strip on the topic of doing and presenting your keyword research to your boss.
2013: Google’s John Mueller: “We found unnatural links to an individual article, and took a granular action based on that.”
2013: The tool let you move from one domain to another domain as well as from within a site; URLs to URLs.
2011: Google added a one box even when it only had a “best guess” at the answer to a search.
2011: AllTheWeb one of the search engines Yahoo acquired in 2003 to help build Yahoo Search, would sunset April 4, 2011.
2011: A website builder and SEO firm was held liable in federal court in a case in which it was accused of enabling the sale of counterfeit goods.
2011: The latest images showing what people eat at the search engine companies, how they play, who they meet, where they speak, what toys they have, and more.
2010: The Sponsored Map Icons were a new way to promote your business within Google Maps.
2010: The company said it would soon let web users opt-out of being tracked by its popular Google Analytics software.
2010: YouTube’s chief counsel accused Viacom of “continuously and secretly” putting its content on YouTube, and “deliberately” making the material look amateur.
2010: An updated interface and some feature changes to help improve usability.
2009: Cutts answers: “Does the position of keywords in the URL affect ranking?”
2009: Be careful what you say in a public setting and use social media tools to help you, not hurt you.
2009: Newssift aimed to bring context and meaning that its creators said was missing from traditional keyword-based business news search engines.
2008: Users would now be able to edit any details about a business or location, or add new businesses, even if they weren’t the business owner.
2008: Yahoo expected to double its operating cash flow in three years from $1.9 billion to $3.7 billion.
2008: China’s Alibaba.com, in which Yahoo was a significant minority shareholder, enjoyed a massive 340% gain in net profit tied to China’s fast-growing economy.
From Search Marketing Expo (SMX)
- SMX West 2020 Overtime: Creating great content, FAQs and how to navigate approval limitations
- How to optimize paid search and Amazon campaigns for seasonality success (SMX West 2020)
- 4 Mobile Search Trends Tackled At SMX West 2013
Past contributions from Search Engine Land’s Subject Matter Experts (SMEs)
These columns are a snapshot in time and have not been updated since publishing, unless noted. Opinions expressed in these articles are those of the author and not necessarily Search Engine Land.
- 2022: 14 ways Google may evaluate E-A-T by Olaf Kopp
- 2019: Using insights to find new audiences to test for awareness campaigns by Joe Martinez
- 2016: Get up close with PPC KPIs to improve your performance by Matt Umbro
- 2016: Local SEO beyond the browser by Marcus Miller
- 2015: Quantifying The Mobile Revolution: Mobile Advertising Progress In 2014 by Matt Ackley
- 2015: The Essential In-Depth Overview Of PPC Bid Management by Frederick Vallaeys
- 2014: Turning Old Content Into New Links by Casie Gillette
- 2014: Which Is The Most “Generous” Search Engine To Local Businesses? by Myles Anderson
- 2013: Geographic Targeting In An Enhanced Campaign World by Brad Geddes
- 2013: The Most Common Problems With Local Business Listings by Andrew Shotland
- 2013: Top 10 Tool Features For Successful Enterprise SEO by Paul Bruemmer
- 2011: How To Analyze A/B Tests Using Google Analytics by Daniel Waisberg
- 2011: Billions Of Years Of Free SEM Insight Through Biomimicry by Josh Dreller
- 2011: 3 SEO Myths About Information Architecture by Shari Thurow
- 2010: Using Web Analytics For Paid Search Research by Josh Dreller
- 2010: 5 Keys For Creating Viral YouTube Titles by Drew Hubbard
- 2010: Research: The Key To SMB Knowledge by Debra Northart
- 2010: Anatomy Of A Google Snippet by Stephan Spencer
- 2010: Overlooked But Beneficial On-Page SEO Elements by Tony Soric
- 2009: Customer Retention Through Search Marketing by Shellie Foriska
- 2009: How To Prioritize Search Marketing Work At A Large Company by Duane Forrester
Blog Post added on March 18, 2023 at 3:01 am | Powered by All The Way Digital